[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94686] History for Follow up to today's MET user meeting: METviewer: using Y dependent (fcst) var to stratify/filter thresholds

Tatiana Burek via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 24 12:35:15 MDT 2020

Hi Tatiana, thank you for considering the option in the future for using the Y dependent (forecast) variable to stratify/filter all the thresholds in a database so only the threshold values relevant to the requested dependent variable would show up to be selected.  An example is the AWS database mv_ylin_metplus, which contains thresholds for 24h and 3h CTC stats and 24h/6h FSS.  Thresholds for the 24h CTC are

gt0.254, gt2.54, gt6.35, gt12.7, gt19.05, gt25.4, gt38.1, gt50.8, gt76.2, gt101.6;  (threshold group 1)

For 3h CTC they are
gt0.254,gt0.508,gt1.27,gt2.54,gt6.35,gt12.7,gt19.05,gt25.4; (threshold group 2)

For FSS (6h or 24h) they are
gt1, gt2, gt5, gt10, gt20, gt50 (threshold group 3)

In the current METviewer, when I choose the threshold as independent variable, all the above values show up in the selection window.  If there’s a way to use the Y dependent variable to sort the thresholds that’d be great, e.g. if the attribute stat selected is NBR_*, then only thresholds in "group 3" above shows up; for non-neighborhood CTC scores, “group 1” for Dependent variable of APCP_24 and “group 2” for APCP_03.  Does that make sense?

Thanks again -

Ying

--
Ying Lin
NCEP/EMC/Verification, Post-processing and Product Generation Branch
Ying.Lin at noaa.gov