[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #91715] History for METplus PointStat; MET pcp_combine -sum (wildcard in -pcpdir argument?)

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 11 09:52:18 MDT 2020

Hello.  I'm trying to run METplus' PointStat - want to sum up 24h
1-hourly precip analysis (pcprtma) and verify it against daily gauges.
There are some issues I couldn't figure out myself and hope you can help
me with.  Attached are

     pcprtma_24h.ksh: run script

     metplus_final.conf

     master_metplus.log.20190827

     pcprtma_24h.conf: my config for pcprtma

     PointStatConfig_gauges: my general PointStatConfig
     test_add.sh, test_sum.sh: "manual" run of MET8.1's pcp_combine on
the pcprtma data to rule out data problem

Issues:

1) Right off the bat I could not sum up the 1-hourly 'pcprtma' into 24h
totals: in the attached log file, there is "metplus.PointStat
(point_stat_wrapper.py:174) ERROR: Could not find file in
/gpfs/dell2/emc/verification/noscrub/Ying.Lin/metplus.out/pcprtma/bucket
matching template pcprtma.{valid?fmt=%Y%m%d%H}_a{level?fmt=%HH}h".  For
a while I wondered whether the problem was with my pcprtma data, so I
tried out MET8.1's pcp_combine's 'add' and 'sum' on the data (attached
test_add.sh and test_sum.sh) and the data seem to be OK, so most likely
it's error in my config files

2) Mask files: my pcprtma_24h.conf was originally copied over from
parm/use_cases/grid_to_obs/examples/conus_surface.conf.   I see that in
this config file, for POINT_STAT_POLY there is

# List of full path to poly masking files.  NOTE: Only short lists of poly
# files work (those that fit on one line), a long list will result in an
# environment variable that is too long, resulting in an error. For long
# lists of poly masking files (i.e. all the mask files in the NCEP_mask
# directory), define these in the MET point_stat configuration file.

I wanted to just test it out first so I pointed to only one mask file,
the /gpfs/..../masks/rfcs/CNSRFCS.nc (mask covering all ConUS RFCs).
Eventually I'd like to have 13 masked regions for this.  How do I
"define these in the MET point_stat configuration file"?  Currently my
PointStatConfig_gauges (cribbed from
parm/use_cases/grid_to_obs/met_config/PointStatConfig_conus_sfc) has this:

   poly = ${POINT_STAT_POLY};

Do I change this to

   poly = "${MASKDIR}/ABRFC.nc", "${MASKDIR}/CBRFC.nc",
..."${MASKDIR}/WGRFC.nc";   ?
(MASKDIR=/gpfs/dell2/emc/verification/noscrub/Ying.Lin/metplus/yl/masks/rfcs)

3) This is more MET than METplus: in the attached test_sum.sh, I used
'pcp_combine -sum' to sum up 12 1-h precip into a 12h total, and all the
hourly files are in /gpfs/dell2/nco/ops/com/rtma/prod/pcprtma.20190825.
What I wanted to do initially was to sum up 24 1-h precip into a 24h
(12Z-12Z) total  and the hourly files are in /gpfs/.../pcprtma.20190824
and /gpfs/.../pcprtma.20190825.  Could you tell me how to make the
-pcpdir argument a wildcard (like /gpfs/.../pcprtma.%Y%M%D)?

  I've been running point_stat in MET but have not run it in METplus
before, other than the use case
parm/use_cases/grid_to_obs/examples/conus_surface.conf.  Haven't been
able to figure things out myself in the past few weeks.  If you happen
to see anything else wrong in my set-up I would appreciate your pointing
them out too.

Thank you -

Ying

--
Ying Lin
NCEP/EMC/Verification, Post-processing and Product Generation Branch
Ying.Lin at noaa.gov