[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #92232] History for climo files for METplus

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 2 09:35:00 MST 2020

I'm back on the task of generating the anomaly correlation after a diversion...

I've managed to kick off a successful CNT run of MET to compute the anomaly correlation, however, I think I accommodated the filenames for the climatologies in a bit of an awkward way (in red below):

#add to line 344 of ush/compare_gridded_wrapper.py:

                      "INPUT_BASE", "MET_VALID_HHMM", "MET_VALID_MM",

#add new line 361 to ush/compare_gridded_wrapper.py:

   self.add_env_var("MET_VALID_MM", time_info['valid_fmt'][4:6]+'15') #jmh: for NCEP 2.5-deg climo filenames; e.g., '0815'

#reference in ac/GridStatConfig_anom-Harvey:

   file_name = [ "${INPUT_BASE}/ac/climo/NCEP_2.5deg/pgba_mean.1959${MET_VALID_MM}" ];

I see on page 65 of the user manual the way to create new environment variables in METplus but in my anom.conf file I'm having a difficult time finding a way to retrieve the current month. I've tried all sorts of things but can't seem to find the right source variable or syntax (or both).

Should it be possible to retrieve the current valid month from a variable inside a particular section of the anom.conf file? I see some init/valid time references in the filename_templates section, but those don't work in the new user_env_vars section.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.