[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95578] History for Combining Multiple runs of Series_Analysis

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 12 10:00:39 MDT 2020

I have been using series_analysis, which is a really nice tool for looking at spatial variation.
Whilst in the past this has been used for case studies, just putting long lists of files through,
I was hoping to use it in a more routine fashion,
i.e. running series after each forecast run / or each day and gradually accumulating stats over a longer period.
The main reason for doing this is so that I do not have to have all the input data available at run time, when assessing a long time period, but can instead accumulate in smaller runs, reducing the data volumes needed.

So essentially stat aggregation  of series_analysis output (where appropriate, e.g. partial sums/ contingency counts).
Stat_analysis already does this sort of thing for text output, but I don't think it does it for NetCDF.

So question 1) Is there something already existing amongst the Met tools which I can use to aggregate the series_analysis output.
                       2) If not, is this something that can potentially be added to the MET package in future developments.

(I have a fallback of running series_analysis each run and combining the resulting NetCDF files via some bespoke code I can put together , but just wanted to check that it wasn't already possible before going down that route)

Cheers,
Ric

Ric Crocker Senior Scientist
Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44(0)330 135 2137
Email: ric.crocker at metoffice.gov.uk Website: www.metoffice.gov.uk