[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #93155] History for Plotting dilemma

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 17 14:35:04 MST 2020

Hi there,

I'm trying to plot up some MTD output, specifically the output from the 2d text file, to show where the centroids were.

But, I have a problem. I'm looking at ocean data and the output is giving me (apparently) centroids over land. Now, plotting this in R can be a tricky business but I'm a little bit concerned. Is this because it could be merging objects which fall either side of the UK, so that the centroid ends up being not enclosed in either object but somewhere in the middle, i.e. over land?!

Can you shed any light on what is going on here? I've tried an x-y plot 9:42, and a lat-lon plot 9:56... but it's not a project problem, which was my first thought.

Ta
Marion

--
Dr Marion Mittermaier     Manager: Model diagnostics and novel verification

Met Office   FitzRoy Road   Exeter   EX1 3PB   United Kingdom
Tel:  +44 (0) 330 135 1604
E-mail: marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk<mailto:marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk>  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/>

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/marion-mittermaier

I am co-chair of the WMO WWRP Joint Working Group on Forecast Verification Research (JWGFVR) http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/arep/wwrp/new/Forecast_Verification.html