[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #97664] History for FCST_VAR3_OPTIONS definition in METplus conf file

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 3 08:58:59 MST 2020

George,

  I have an issue on "desc" definition in METplus conf file.

In GridStat config file, I have fcst and obs entry like this:
fcst = {
   field = [
      {
        name       = "TCDC";
        level      = [ "L0" ];
        GRIB_lvl_typ = 234 ;
        desc = "HI_CLOUD";
        cat_thresh = [  >=50.0, >=60.0, >=70.0, >=80.0, >=90.0, >=100.0 ];
      }
   ];
};

obs = {
   field = [
     {
        name       = "TCDC";
        level      = [ "L0" ];
        GRIB_lvl_typ = 234 ;
        desc = "HI_CLOUD";
        cat_thresh = [  >=50.0, >=60.0, >=70.0, >=80.0, >=90.0, >=100.0 ];
        censor_thresh = [ < 0.0 ];
        censor_val = [ -9999 ];
      }
   ];
};

Run MET with this config file is fine.

But if using METplus, in  METplus conf file,  the equivalent field is defined like this, run fails:

BOTH_VAR1_NAME = TCDC
BOTH_VAR1_LEVELS = L0
FCST_VAR1_OPTIONS = GRIB_lvl_typ = 234;  desc = HI_CLOUD
BOTH_VAR1_THRESH = ge50, ge60, ge70, ge80, ge90, ge100
OBS_VAR1_OPTIONS = GRIB_lvl_typ = 234; desc = HI_CLOUD; censor_thresh = [ < 0 ]; censor_val  = [ -9999 ]

   ERROR  : do_assign_id() -> identifier "HI_CLOUD" not defined in this scope

I am not for sure the FCST_VAR3_OPTIONS part for FCST and OBS are correct

Why  GRIB_lvl_typ = 234;  censor_thresh = [ < 0 ]; censor_val  = [ -9999 ] can be put in   FCST_VAR3_OPTIONS
but desc=HI_CLOUD can not?

So how to set  "desc" in  FCST_VAR1_OPTIONS?  I can not find this in METplus user guide.

Thanks!

Binbin
--

Binbin Zhou