[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94829] History for gen_vx_mask longitude specification

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 27 17:34:21 MDT 2020

Folks - I am wondering what the E/W conversion for longitudes is for input to gen_vx_mask.

Efren A. Serra (Contractor)
Physicist

DeVine Consulting, Inc.
Naval Research Laboratory
Marine Meteorology Division
7 Grace Hopper Ave., STOP 2
Monterey, CA 93943
Code 7542
Mobile: 408-425-5027

Subject: gen_vx_mask longitude specification
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Apr 03 17:33:31 2020

Efran,

I see you have a question about the conventions for longitudes in MET.
MET
expects all input longitudes to follow the standard convention of
"degrees
east", meaning east of lon 0 is positive.

If you look into the code you'll see that after reading longitude
values,
it does multiply them by -1 to convert from degrees east to west.  Our
internal grid library expects that.  However, we do convert them back
degrees east when writing longitudes to output files.  I'd really like
update our grid library to follow the degrees east convention to avoid
all
that multiplying -1.  But for the time being, that's what we've got.

Hope that helps clarify.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:54 PM efren.serra.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil via RT

> Fri Apr 03 13:54:38 2020: Request 94829 was acted upon.
> Transaction: Ticket created by efren.serra.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil
>        Queue: met_help
>      Subject: gen_vx_mask longitude specification
>        Owner: Nobody
>   Requestors: efren.serra.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil
>

> Folks - I am wondering what the E/W conversion for longitudes is for
input
> to gen_vx_mask.
>
> Efren A. Serra (Contractor)
> Physicist
>
> DeVine Consulting, Inc.
> Naval Research Laboratory
> Marine Meteorology Division
> 7 Grace Hopper Ave., STOP 2
> Monterey, CA 93943
> Code 7542
> Mobile: 408-425-5027

Here's how I'm parsing longitudes from ATCF objective aids files and
before I pass them to gen_vx_mask:

def parse_lon(s):
    lon=float(s[:-1])*0.1
    if s[-1] == "W":
        lon = 360.0 - lon
#       MET tools convention
    return round(lon)

Is this the correct conversion?

I see you have a question about the conventions for longitudes in MET.
MET expects all input longitudes to follow the standard convention of
"degrees east", meaning east of lon 0 is positive.

If you look into the code you'll see that after reading longitude
values, it does multiply them by -1 to convert from degrees east to
west.  Our internal grid library expects that.  However, we do convert
them back to degrees east when writing longitudes to output files.
I'd really like to update our grid library to follow the degrees east

From: efren.serra.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil
Time: Fri Apr 03 19:05:18 2020

John,

Let's say I give you this longitudes:
  408W
  434W
  460W
  483W
  504W
  535W
  569W
  613W
  662W
  655W
  651W
  631W

How would you convert them, after multiplying the integer part by 0.1,
for input to gen_vx_mask? Thank you.

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Apr 03 20:25:39 2020

Efren,

Here’s an example polyline containing lat/Lin points:
https://github.com/NCAR/MET/blob/master_v9.0/met/data/poly/CONUS.poly

If you have degrees west, just multiply by -1 to put them into degrees
East.  If you’d like, you can also add/subtract by 360 degrees to put
them
in whatever range you prefer.  MET automatically does that as it reads
them
to put them into a standard range of (-180,180).

John

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 7:05 PM efren.serra.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil via RT

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/%3E+Naval+Research+L?entry=gmail&source=g>