[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94238] History for Running into some issues with MET stat_analysis

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 1 11:04:10 MDT 2020

MET help staff,

I'm a new MET user and hoped you could point out any errors in my command lines.

Using version 8.1.2, I followed the MET tutorial online. My questions are in regard to using stat_analysis.

First,
I am using the stat_analysis tool as described in the Tutorial<https://dtcenter.org/met-online-tutorial-metv8-0/stat-analysis/run>. I made a simple change to perform a summary job instead of the aggregate job.

stat_analysis \
-lookin $MET_TUTORIAL_DATA/output/point_stat \
-out_stat $MET_TUTORIAL_DATA/output/stat_analysis/cnt_RMSE_set_hdr.stat \
-job summary -line_type CNT -column RMSE -fcst_var TMP -fcst_lev P850-750 -obtype ADPUPA -vx_mask EAST,WEST \
-by INTERP_PNTS -set_hdr VX_MASK CONUS \
-v 2

But the file created by -out_stat is empty and all the data I expected to be in that new file is written to the terminal. Is this a bug, or is there another setting I need to set to write the data to the file instead of the terminal screen?

Second,
I am trying to aggregate RMSE statistics between multiple model runs so I can compare different experiments. I thought the stat_analysis aggregate job would do this, but when I try to use the aggregate function on the CNT line type, it says I have to specify a different line type. Perhaps the method is to aggregate the SL1L2 line types and derive the average RMSE from the mean for all the model runs. Is that the best method?

Thanks for your time. I am impressed with MET's capability and wish I would have learned to use it a few years ago.

Dr. Brian K. Blaylock
NRC Postdoctoral Research Associate
Marine Meteorology Division
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory