[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #92225] History for Issue with multiple interp widths in ensemble_stat -- netCDF error

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 23 09:33:22 MDT 2019

Hi once again MET helpdesk,

After successfully processing my model and observation data with both ensemble_stat and grid_stat, I was looking to expand on that by introducing different smoothing neighborhoods. I’ve set my ensemble_stat config file to evaluate the forecast grids at widths of 1, 3, and 5 grid points using the square method. The problem arises when I go to run ensemble_stat where the following error shows up:

DEBUG 2: Processing gridded verification APCP/A06 versus APCP_06A06, for observation type APCP, over region WoFS_radars_20180618, for interpolation method NEAREST(1), using 21311 matched pairs.
DEBUG 2: Skipping 843 of 21311 points due to missing ensemble values.
DEBUG 2: Processing gridded verification APCP/A06 versus APCP_06A06, for observation type APCP, over region WoFS_radars_20180618, for interpolation method UW_MEAN_SQUARE(9), using 21311 matched pairs.
DEBUG 2: Skipping 972 of 21311 points due to missing ensemble values.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'netCDF::exceptions::NcNameInUse'
  what():  NetCDF: String match to name in use
file: ncGroup.cpp  line:496
Abort (core dumped)

What could be the nature of this error message? Is it just that the output is being written to a file that is open so it leads to a file lock error? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Brian
Brian Matilla
Research Fellow— Warn-on-Forecast Team
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies — The University of Oklahoma
NOAA National Severe Storms Laboratory

Phone: (405) 325-1688