[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #90137] History for Ascii2NC

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri May 24 10:50:54 MDT 2019

I am trying to convert some HDF5 point observations.  I have two HDF5 file
per date, one for radiosondes and another for surface obs.  From your
ASCII2NC documentation, I see the following:

"

The input ASCII MET point observation format contains one observation per
line. Each input observation line should consist of the following 11 columns
of data:

1.      Message_Type

2.      Station_ID

3.      Valid_Time in YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS format

4.      Lat in degrees North

5.      Lon in degrees East

6.      Elevation in meters above sea level

7.      Grib_Code as the integer GRIB code value or variable name
corresponding to this observation type

8.      Level as the pressure level in hPa or accumulation interval in hours

9.      Height in meters above sea level or above ground level

10.    QC_String corresponding to the quality control value

11.    Observation_Value in the units prescribed for the grib code

In order to use ASCII2NC, it is the user's responsibility to get their ASCII
point observations into this format

"

I am a bit confused on #6-9.  What is the difference between elevation,
level and height and how do I define these when I start to write the ascii
file for the surface obs?  Also I am using
https://apps.ecmwf.int/codes/grib/param-db to find the Grib Codes. Is the
column entitled "Parameter ID" what MET uses to determine the variable?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Tsu

Marine Meteorology Division