[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #89791] History for Using METplus for ozone

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue May 7 09:49:33 MDT 2019

Hi, all,

Thanks to John and crew, I had gotten MET to work just fine for ozone
verification, but it seems a little more challenging with METplus.  I
thought I could plug 'n' play, but it's not working out that way.

Recall that an ozone file dated today (e.g. 20190415) has data between 01Z
20190415 and 00Z 20190416 in it, rather than a bufr file that only has one
particular hour's worth of data.

The MET config files being used are here:

/meso/save/Perry.Shafran/METplus.dev/parm/met_config/PB2NCConfig_aqm
/meso/save/Perry.Shafran/METplus.dev/parm/met_config/PointStatConfig_AIRNOW

All the METplus config files in play are here:

/meso/save/Perry.Shafran/METplus.dev/parm/use_cases/perry

I am trying to run a day's worth of AQM verification.  Best to run 01Z to
00Z for one particular bufr file, and that will require special treatment
for 00Z.  There are cycles that are run starting at 06Z and 12Z, 48-hour
forecasts each.

I am trying to find the right combination of commands in the conf files
that will allow us to select files that verify at each hour.  My earlier
MET had worked because I was using the same VSDB scripts that had selected
the proper files for verification, but that doesn't seem to be working out
all that well for the ozone case.

Let me know if you can look into it.  I'll add this question to the next
METplus meeting this coming Monday.  If there is anything unclear or files
needed, also let me know.

Thanks!

Perry