[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #91080] History for F_RATE and O_RATE in nbrcnt.txt files

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 16 15:51:40 MDT 2019

Dear John,

I have a question regarding the F_RATE and O_RATE in nbrcnt.txt files. From my understanding, F_RATE and O_RATE should not change with neighborhood size. As long as the threshold is the same, F_ and O_RATE should be the same, right? This is because in MET manual, F_RATE is the frequency of forecast events and O_RATE is the observed events.
The thing not clear to me is, what kind of grids these events are defined? If they all defined on the original (i.e., the smallest grid spacing) grid, then F_RATE and O_RATE should not change for different neighborhood size. Please clarify.

The reason I was using F_ and O_RATE is because I want to have a simple way to calculate BIAS. I thought BIAS=F_RATE/O_RATE.

We have other questions regarding aggregate FSS scores. Could we set up a telecom with you?

Thanks so much!

Huaqing

Huaqing Cai
Research Meteorologist