[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #90244] History for understanding text output from mode-td

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 17:01:13 MDT 2019

Help me understand a confusing part of the text output from a MODE-TD run.
The discussion will refer to the attached files (probably mostly the 2d
one, but because I suspect matching may be involved I also attached the
3d_pair_simple version). I see from that output that I had 50 forecast
objects and 27 observation objects in total. Up through line 521 of the 2d
file, those lines describe the attributes of the forecast objects, and then
up through line 796 the observation object attributes are displayed.

What I don't understand is what is being displayed after that point in the
file. It appears some of the forecast and observation objects are repeated.
For example, let's look at forecast object #1. There are several entries
for F001 at the top of the 2d file for an object that persisted over the
first 6 time frames of the input. The OBJECT_CAT for this object is listed
as CF000, implying it was a single object (no cluster). However, at line
797 there is another set of entries for F001, and this time the OBJECT_CAT
is CF001, and this entry persists for time indices 0 to 2. This second F001
object appears to occur in a different part of the domain, so I don't think
it's the same object. But what does it mean that there is another F001? A
similar pattern occurs for F002-F004 and O001-O004. How do I interpret
these entries?

Jeff Duda

--
Jeff Duda, Research Scientist