[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #84381] History for Question about merge_thresh

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:03:51 MDT 2019

Dear MET help,

I am running MODE to verify 24 hr precipitation between obs and forecast
files. I originally set merge_flag to NONE, but I understand, from a
previous discussion with John, that its better to set to THRESH. But if
done so, to set a reasonable value for merge_thresh. My question is, if I
set a conv_thresh of 10 mm, can I use half of that for merge_thresh, i.e
whatever I have for conv_thresh divided in half? Or do I have to just play
around with it to see how it is defining objects?

Second, is there a conus grid in MET over the southeast U.S.? I want to
look at verification in that area of a certain storm and not over the whole
conus?

Andrew Kren
Assistant Scientist
CIMAS & NOAA/AOML