[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #82793] History for Storm-relative verification with point observations in Hurricane Maria using shift_data_plane

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:04:11 MDT 2019

Dear MET-help,

First, many thanks for supporting this software to the community and in
advance for any advice that you can give me.

I am using MET v6.0 + patches in an attempt to compare HWRF forecasts of
temperature, moisture, and winds to the same data collected by an Uncrewed
Aircraft System (UAS) that flew through Hurricane Maria. The UAS made a
slow descent from ~1 km to ~100 m ASL over the course of an hour as it
sampled the storm.

So far, I've approached this task by doing the following:

1) Converted UAS data to the ascii MET point format
2) Used ASCII2NC to convert the data to netcdf format
3) Ran PointStat to get the statistics

This worked very well. But now I would like to remove the effect of the
model track error before I run PointStat, and this is where I'm a bit fuzzy
on how to proceed.

I read about the shift_data_plane tool, and thought that I could use it to
shift the HWRF forecast grid, which is in grib2 format, by the location
offset between the modeled and observed storm center. Let's say that the
model storm center is at 26.0 N, -72.0 W and the real storm in the
observations is at 26.0N, -73.0 W. I did this:

shift_data_plane maria15l.2017092318.hwrfprs.core.0p02.f000.grb2
> shift_temp.nc 'name="TMP";level="P900";' -from 26.0 -72.0 -to 26.0 -73.0
> -method BILIN

Works great. However, I cannot seem to translate the entire 3d-temperature
grid at once; the tool will only write one pressure level per file (I
think), even though I tried specifying a range (not shown here). If that is
the case, how do I create a new model grid that is georeferenced to the
observed storm location so that I can feed that grid to PointStat? Am I
using the correct tools to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance again for any advice that you can provide.

Cheers,
Evan Kalina

--
Evan Kalina
Research Scientist

M-W, F: NOAA DSRC 2B603, 303-497-5399 (t)
Thursdays: NCAR FL-3 1040, 303-497-8945 (t)