[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #91310] History for Mode Time Domain merging algorithm

Randy Bullock via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 20 11:08:35 MDT 2019

Hi All,

I am using MTD module of MET package to track thunderstorms. I could run MTD over my data and I have my outputs. I have a problem that I try to explain in the following lines:

Imagine that I have two objects at time step 0 and by passing the time the two objects (storms) move toward each other an become closer, and at time step = n they merge together and become a unified object. If I run MTD over my data during my selected period, MTD considers the two objects as 1 merged object from time step =0 to time step =n.

If we want to track both objects, since they have been considered as a merged object, therefore the calculated centroid from the merged objects will be the location of both storms at each time step, which is a point in middle of both objects with a little movement, while the real track lines for both objects (before merging at time step =n) is two lines intersecting each other at time step =n.

I was thinking that is there any options in MTD config file to somehow control the merging scheme of objects to escape from this problem? or do you have any idea to overcome this problem?

Thanks,
Hooman