[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #91536] History for Verifying point observations at each forecast grid cell

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 16 09:53:13 MDT 2019

I'm looking for a way to verify forecasts on a grid using local storm
reports as observations.

For example, I would like to see if a grid cell with wind over 25 m/s has a
local storm report in the same grid cell. If it does, I would consider that
grid cell a hit; if not, I would call that grid cell a false alarm.

These irregularly-spaced storm reports must first be interpolated to the
forecast grid somehow, but I can't figure out how to do this in MET. I
already converted local storm reports to a netCDF file that point_stat can
read using ascii2nc.

Problem is, when I run them through point_stat or ensemble_stat, the
verification matching occurs at each storm report location, not at each
forecast grid cell. I would like each grid cell to be a matched
forecast/observation pair.

I tried using the regrid at to_grid setting in the point_stat config file but
it only affects gridded input.

Is there a way to do verify point observations on a forecast grid in MET?
Or should I convert the point observations to a grid myself and then run
grid_stat?

Hope my question makes sense, and hope I didn't miss something obvious in
the User's Guide.
Thanks.
Dave