[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #89965] History for grid_stat Variable Name Output Change

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 30 12:04:40 MDT 2019

Hello there,

I am in the process of upgrading my Excessive Rainfall Outlook (ERO)
verification code from METv6.0 to METv8.0. During this process, I noticed
that the observation variable name after running grid_stat has changed
between these two versions. My methodology is the same, and applies a
circular neighborhood of 9 grid points in the interp definition of the
grid_stat configuration file (old configuration file is config_file_old,
new configuration file is config_file_new).

In more detail if I run:
path_to_metv8.0/grid_stat obs_file fcst_file config_file_old -outdir ./

The name of my observational data within the netcdf file is called
OBS_ST4gFFG_Surface_FULL_MAX_49

However, if I run
path_to_metv6.0/grid_stat obs_file fcst_file config_file_new -outdir ./

The name of my observational data within the netcdf file is called
OBS_ST4gFFG_Surface_FULL_MAX_81

The data inside each file is exactly the same, but I am wondering why the
metadata label is different? For reference, my files are stored here:
https://ftp.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/erickson/dtc2/. The grid_stat netCDF output
for METv6.0 is grid_stat_out_OLD.nc and for METv8.0 is grid_stat_out_NEW.nc

Thanks again!

Mike
--
Michael J. Erickson

Research Scientist
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
NOAA/NWS/NCEP/Weather Prediction Center
Phone:  301-683-1546