[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #89408] History for PointStat in MET

David Fillmore via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 2 09:40:57 MDT 2019

Good Afternoon,

      I am afraid I need some hand holding.  I am trying to run the
PointStat tool in MET for
the first time and I need help with setting up the PointStatConfig file.

     What I have for a model file is a FV3 Netcdf file.  I ran PB2NC on a
prepbufr file to get
a Netcdf file.  I really have no idea of how to fill out the obs part of
the PointStatConfig
file and I get errors when reading the fcst part of the PointStatConfig.

     I am working on theia, but can put my files on your ftp site also.

     Many Thanks,
      Sherrie

We will be happy to have a look at your use case.
Please upload your FV3 nc file, the output of pb2nc,
and your PointStat config file.

ftp directions can be found here:
https://dtcenter.org/met/users/support/met_help.php

thanks,
David

From: Sherrie Fredrick - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Fri Mar 22 08:04:09 2019

Hi David,

     I have put my prepbufr netcdf and my forecast netcdf file on
incoming/irap/met_help/sfredrick.

     My PointStatConfig_default config file is not complete.  I have
no
idea of how to fill out the obs
part of the file.  What I would like to do is get stats for
temperature and
later on some other variables.
I have never used prepbufr files.   I had no problem using the pb2nc,
but
am not familiar with the Netcdf
file it produces.  So I don't know how to fill in the obs part.  The
prepbufr file will need to be interpolated
in the vertical and the horizontal.  I have NEAREST neighbor right
now.  I
think that the PointStat routine
automatically does the interpolation from the documentation.

     Any help you can give will be much appreciated.  Sorry for
needing so
much hand holding.
      Thanks,
       Sherrie

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 4:23 PM David Fillmore via RT

From: David Fillmore
Time: Fri Mar 22 09:47:50 2019

Thanks Sherrie -
We have your example data files and will look at the PointStat
configuration.
David

From: David Fillmore
Time: Fri Mar 22 17:06:24 2019

Hi Sherrie -

I have attached a PointStat config file that will compare your model
temperatures to the station observations
at a pressure level of 1000 mb.
We noticed that the fcst file you provided is for 20160101 whereas the
obs file times are centered around 20160601,
so a difference of 6 months.
In order to get matches for testing purposes we expanded the
obs_window beg and end times (in the config file),
but these should be restored to the correct time interval.
When you have the opportunity you can upload some additional test
files if you would like.
We will look at the spatial interpolation next.

thanks,
David

From: Sherrie Fredrick - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Tue Mar 26 08:04:17 2019

Hi David,

     Thanks for your help.  I will find the correct prepbuf file.  I
am
just figuring
out how to look at them with NCL.

      Cheers,
       Sherrie

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 5:06 PM David Fillmore via RT

From: Sherrie Fredrick - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Tue Mar 26 09:42:01 2019

Hi David,
sfredrick
     I have placed a new prebufr.nc file, a new netcdf file
20160106.nc and
the PointStatConfig_david file
on the ftp site in sfredrick for the spatial interpolation.   I was
able to
run the PointStatConfig file that you sent.
  Thanks very much.
  Sherrie

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 8:04 AM Sherrie Fredrick - NOAA Affiliate <

From: David Fillmore
Time: Tue Mar 26 12:05:08 2019

Hi Sherrie -
I have downloaded your latest prepbufr data.

To regrid the observations to the model grid you can set to_grid =
FCST in the regrid block of the config file.
e.g.
regrid = {
  to_grid = FCST;
  method = NEAREST;
  width = 1;
  vld_thresh = 0.5;
}

I'm still not getting many obs/fcst matched pairs with the latest
files,
with the largest fraction rejected due to the grid code.
I am wondering if there are ADPSFC observations with 2 m temperature
in the prepbufr files we might look at instead?
Could you also upload your config file for pb2nc with sample data?

thanks,
David

From: Sherrie Fredrick - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Tue Mar 26 13:39:22 2019

Hi David,

     I have loaded the prepbufr file before I run the pb2nc.  It
is gdas1.t06z.prepbufr.  The PB2NCConfig_default is my config file.

     Thanks again for you help.
     Sherrie

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 12:05 PM David Fillmore via RT

From: David Fillmore
Time: Thu Mar 28 16:59:07 2019

Thanks Sherrie,
I have your pb2nc config file and data and will give it a try.
David

From: David Fillmore
Time: Mon Apr 01 15:25:20 2019

Hi Sherrie -
I am able to get many more matched FCST/OBS pairs when I change to the
obs message_type to ANYSFC
and set the level to Z2 (2 meters above the surface).
Please see the attached config file.
thanks,
David

From: Sherrie Fredrick - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Mon Apr 01 17:45:18 2019

Hi David,

    Many thanks for all your help.  I would not have figured all of
this
out.

    Cheers,
    Sherrie

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 3:25 PM David Fillmore via RT