[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #86852] History for METviewer: comparing FSS from two different systems?

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 24 16:25:10 MDT 2018

Hello.  I'm wondering if it's possible to compare FSS generated under
MET with that from the VSDB in METviewer - by plotting them in the same
frame and possibly plot the difference.  Attached are xmls and pngs for
the FSS vs. neighborhood sizes plots generated from 1) MET grid_stat
(conusnest2, at 20180905_200949) and 2) VSDB (conusnestfvs, at
20180828_171213).

The set up for the two individual plots are different: for the MET plot,
the dependent variable is APCP_24, fixed value has OBS_THRESH > 10,
independent variables are INTERP_PNTS (neighborhood sizes in grid
points).  For the VSDB/FVS plot, the dependent variable is APCP/24 >
010.0, and independent variable is OBS_THRESH (< 005, < 014, < 024 ...
etc, these correspond to the MET plot's INTERP_PNTS - e.g. '014'
correspond to the 3x3 neighborhood size).  Is there a way to display
both on the same plot, presumably by using Y1/Y2 series variables?  I
have not been able to do this (failed attempt:
plot_20180905_204709.xml).  I suppose there is no way to choose
different independent variables (because it's Y1/Y2 series, not
Y1/X1/Y2/X2 series?).  I've been experimenting with varies settings and
the printouts of the two curves do seem to match (looking at the
overlay, with a light source in the back), but I'm wondering if there is
currently a way to do this in METviewer.

Thanks,

Ying

--
Ying Lin
NCEP/EMC/Verification, Post-processing and Product Generation Branch
Ying.Lin at noaa.gov