[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #84437] History for quick question about cosine weighting

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 16 14:40:15 MDT 2018

Good Morning,

         I was just wondering if the fields that are in the pairs.nc file
have the grid_weight
applied to them.

   Thanks,
    Sherrie

Subject: quick question about cosine weighting
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Mar 16 09:55:12 2018

Sherrie,

Good question, no they do not.  When you run Grid-Stat, the
nc_pairs_flag
config file entry controls what gets written to the config file.  And
one
of the options is the write the weight values:

nc_pairs_flag   = {
   weight     = TRUE;
}

So you can see what the weight values are for each grid point, but the
weights have not been applied to the FCST and OBS values in that file.
The
weighting is done during the computation of the summary statistics.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Sherrie Fredrick - NOAA Affiliate via

From: Sherrie Fredrick - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Fri Mar 16 10:24:03 2018

Hi John,

     That is exactly what I needed to know.