[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #85678] History for

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 29 11:43:57 MDT 2018

Dear madam/Sir,
I wanted to make a comparison of fcst. vs obs. data for APCP .
While I am running mode ... tool of METV7.0, It is displaying the fcst and
obs grids do not match. Can you please suggest how to match the grids in
both fcst and obs files. I mean to say while running run_unipost_frames of
UPP what is the correct option for custom grid like 255 0 .....else any
other way to overcome this, please recommend.
The APCP_obs...nc file is an output of pcp_combine tool using ST4....
observation data(one sample data is attached)
Thanking You
With Best Regards
________________________
Dr. BIRANCHI  KUMAR  MAHALA
Asst. Prof., Mathematics
*Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology,*
*Deemed to be University, Bhubaneswar*
*Mobile- 09861182688*

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Jun 25 16:26:42 2018

Biranchi,

Good news.  This is now easily handled by setting the "regrid" section
of
the MODE config file.  You can tell MODE to automatically regrid the
forecast data to the observation domain or vice-versa.  Try setting:
regrid = {
   to_grid      = FCST; // or set to OBS
   method     = BUDGET;
   width         = 2;
   vld_thresh = 0.5;
   shape        = SQUARE;
}

This will regrid the forecast data to the observation domain.  I chose
BUDGET (mass-conserving) interpolation since you're processing precip.

You can read more about the "regrid" options in the MET User's Guide.

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 5:57 PM Biranchi Mahala via RT

From: Biranchi Mahala
Time: Wed Jun 27 01:06:26 2018

Dear sir,
Your suggestion works fine for stage 2 and stage 4 precipitation
analysis
which are in grib formats and the .txt, .nc files created nicely with
0
fcst and 0 obs. This is probably due to the difference of domain.
I mean to say that, my fcst files cover the portions of Bay of Bengal,
but
the st2 and st4 analysis data covers some other domain. TRMM data is
not
available in grib formats rather in .bin or .nc4 formats. So i could
not
run mode tool using TRMM data.
Is there any other way to overcome this ?

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 4:07 AM John Halley Gotway via RT