[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #88155] History for Climo WInds

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 14 16:01:00 MST 2018

John, I have a question which I didn't see an answer in the user guide.  I am setting up grid stat to verify wind speed.  The model wind speeds are probabilities of wind speeds above a certain amount.  The climo data I have is the NCEP_2.5deg climo fields.  It contains mean values for u and v wind components broken out by month for 0, 6, 12, and 18z initialization times.  Since my model data is wind speeds, not u,v components, is there a way I can set the climo field parameters to retrieve both components so I can combine them into windspeed? Or does MET have logic to calculate wind speeds from wind components.  Attached is my current config file.  I also attached the climo file renamed to a .txt file.  It really is a grib 1 file.

Thanks
Bob