[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80973] History for Trouble with BUFRLIB compilation for MET on Mint 17.

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 22 15:37:02 MDT 2017

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble getting BUFRLIB compiled for a MET installation on a Linux Mint 17 box using gcc 4.8.4.

I have tried a couple of different ways, but the big problem seems to be with gfortran.

Originally,  I tried to compile it using the method outlined in their README_BUFRLIB file.  I created the global variables for FC and CC to point to the fortran and C compilers, and then am supposed to do the following:

./preproc.sh

$FC -c *.f

$CC -c *.c

However, with the above method, I don't even make it through the preproc script.  I get the following errors:

# ./preproc.sh
gcc: error: endiantest: No such file or directory
./preproc.sh: 1: ./preproc.sh: ./endiantest: not found
./preproc.sh: 54: [: =: unexpected operator
irev.F:8:59: warning: missing terminating " character [enabled by default]
 C ABSTRACT: THIS FUNCTION WILL, WHEN THE LOCAL MACHINE IS "LITTLE-
                                                           ^
irev.F:9:11: warning: missing terminating " character [enabled by default]
 C   ENDIAN" (I.E., USES A RIGHT TO LEFT SCHEME FOR NUMBERING THE BYTES
           ^
irev.F:44:54: warning: missing terminating " character [enabled by default]
 C                "BIG-ENDIAN" OR "LITTLE-ENDIAN", IF "BIG-ENDIAN THEN
                                                      ^

I have also tried the method lined out in the Met v. 6.0 Tutorial located at the following link:

http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv6.0/tutorial.php?name=compilation&category=req_libs

Once I run the gfortran compiler, I get the following output:

 # gfortran -c -DUNDERSCORE -fno-second-underscore *.f *.F

wrdlen.f:411.6:

      ERRSTR = '=============== '
      1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
wrdlen.f:420.6:

      ERRSTR = '                          BYTE ORDER IS '
      1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
wrdlen.f:423.6:

      ERRSTR = '                          '
      1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
wrdlen.f:426.6:

      ERRSTR = '====================== VERSION: '
      1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
wrdlen.f:434.66:

  900 WRITE(BORT_STR,'("BUFRLIB: WRDLEN - MACHINE WORD LENGTH IS '
                                                                  1
Error: Syntax error in WRITE statement at (1)
wrdlen.f:438.70:

  901 WRITE(BORT_STR,'("BUFRLIB: WRDLEN - MACHINE WORD LENGTH (",I4,"'
                                                                      1
Error: Syntax error in WRITE statement at (1)
wrdlen.f:442.70:

  902 WRITE(BORT_STR,'("BUFRLIB: WRDLEN - BYTE ORDER CHECKING MISTAKE'
                                                                      1
Error: Syntax error in WRITE statement at (1)
wrdlen.f:446.68:

  903 WRITE(BORT_STR,'("BUFRLIB: WRDLEN - CAN''T DETERMINE MACHINE '
                                                                    1
Error: Syntax error in WRITE statement at (1)
wrdlen.f:91.72:

   10 IF(I.GE.65) GOTO 900
                                                                        1
Error: Label 900 referenced at (1) is never defined
wrdlen.f:92.72:

      IF(MOD(I,8).NE.0) GOTO 901
                                                                        1
Error: Label 901 referenced at (1) is never defined
wrdlen.f:109.72:

   20 IF(J.GT.NBYTW) GOTO 902
                                                                        1
Error: Label 902 referenced at (1) is never defined
wrdlen.f:122.72:

         GOTO 903
                                                                        1
Error: Label 903 referenced at (1) is never defined

I'm hoping you may have some insight into this problem.  I'm not sure if I'm missing a library or need a different version, or if I'm just overlooking something that should be obvious.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Derek

Derek Stinchfield

Systems Administrator