[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #80604] History for Question about radar reflectivity observations (UNCLASSIFIED)

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 1 15:00:07 MDT 2017

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

I will be using radar obs to verify modeled radar reflectivity. The
reflectivity obs are in CF-compliant NetCDF format. I'm trying to understand
the "level" entry for the field in the config file.

An example from the Config file overview text file is on P10 which shows the
"name" and "level" entries for the variable called "QVAPOR". What I would
like to do is to be able to explore the model output (GRIB) for the same
variable (SPFH) using wgrib -v and use the grid information in this listing
to derive the corresponding "dimension values" which are the equivalent for
the QVAPOR observations in NetCDF format.  For example:

How can I relate the level information for QVAPOR which is "(0,5,*,*)" to
the level information for SPFH as shown by wgrib -v? If this isn't possible
and you have to explore the NetCDF file itself, then maybe you could provide
some explanation of the "level" entry so I can pick out from the ncdump of
the NetCDF file the info necessary to provide the dimensions in the "level"
entry.

Using this understanding I hope to determine the correct level dimensions
for the radar observations.

Thanks.

R/
John