[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #79336] History for China map

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 3 13:04:16 MST 2017

Does anyone make China map for MET to use admin_China_data?

Thanks

Yongzuo

Subject: China map
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Feb 02 17:20:11 2017

Hello Yongzuo,

I see you have a question about applying map data to China.  In order
test this out, I started with a 0.5 degree GFS and did the following
steps:

(1) Use the regrid_data_plane tool to regrid 2m temperature to a
smaller
domain centered on China:

   met-5.2/bin/regrid_data_plane \
      gfs_2012040900_F012.grib \
      'latlon 160 80 15.0 60.0 0.5 0.5' \
      china_tmp_2m.nc \
      -field 'name="TMP"; level="Z2";'

(2) Run plot_data_plane to plot with the default map background:

   met-5.2/bin/plot_data_plane
      china_tmp_2m.nc china_tmp_2m.ps \
      'name="TMP_Z2"; level="(*,*)";'

(3) Re-run but pointing only to the admin_China_data:

   met-5.2/bin/plot_data_plane
      china_tmp_2m.nc china_tmp_2m_admin.ps \
      'name="TMP_Z2"; level="(*,*)";
       map_data = {
          source = [
            { file_name =
"MET_BASE/map/admin_by_country/admin_China_data";
}
         ];
      }'

I've attached the resulting images.  You can list an arbitrary number
of
map_data "file_name" entries.  However, I found that using
"country_data"
doesn't look very good with the "admin_China_data".

If you'd like to apply this to your MODE runs, just cut-and-paste the
"map_data" section listed above into your MODE config file.  That will
overwrite the default settings it reads from the ConfigMapData file.
Alternatively, you could update the default map data files in that
ConfigMapData file.

From: Yongzuo Li
Time: Fri Feb 03 08:46:41 2017

John,

Thank you for providing China map by MET. Based on your config
setting, I
created map.png attached by MET, which is part of your China map.
However,
both of us made wrong province boundary near west of Shanghai,
compared
with NCL-made ncl.png and google-found google.png attached. As I know
by
myself, MET-made map is wrong for this small area near Shanghai.

Any suggestion is welcome and helpful.

Thanks

Yongzuo

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 7:20 PM, John Halley Gotway via RT
<met_help at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Feb 03 09:43:16 2017

Yongzuo,

My apologies that there is an inconsistency in the map data near
Shanghai.
For MET version 5.2, I did work with some GIS folks here at NCAR to
bring
the map data up to date.  Is it possible that the map data is
"correct" but
the resolution is just too low?

I do, in fact, have a higher resolution version of the global map data
but
we didn't include it in the MET release since it's 366 MB.

I attached the hires China map data file to this message and also
posted a
tarball with the full set of higher resolution data here:

http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/downloads/map_data/MET_map_data_hires.tar.gz

Using the attached hires admin_detail_China_data file, I get the
attached
plot.  And it looks like Shanghai is better resolved in this plot.

In the long run, I think we'd prefer to create plots using shapefiles
so
users can easily swap in their own.  But for now we're stuck with
using
these ASCII map data files.

From: Yongzuo Li
Time: Fri Feb 03 12:08:41 2017

 John,

Thank you for providing admin_detail_China_data. Now I can produce
detailed
map as attached.

Yongzuo