[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #81451] History for unexpected MODE output (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 3 10:38:42 MDT 2017

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

I ran MET V5.2 MODE over a series of fcsts and obs where I explicitly
specified the fcst/ob pairs to be used as input. I did this using a script
which simply executed multiple MODE commands each preceded by the setting of
environmental variables which specified the correct set of fcst/ob inputs to
be used in the config file. There was a mistake in one MODE command out of
97 total commands which resulted in the log file showing and ERROR which
flagged the fact that MODE was "unable to open input file" and it listed the
path to my config file. I discovered that the config file was mistakenly
named in the MODE run command in that one instance, so naturally MODE could
not find the config file. All the other 96 run commands in the script did
not have this mistake. I discovered that, despite the ERROR cited in the log
file, MODE output was successfully generated and appears to have used the
settings which I specified in the config file. How is this possible if MODE
had an ERROR?

I can provide all the necessary files by separate file transfer if you could
provide me with an email address (@ucar.edu) to receive the download link.

Thanks.

R/
John