[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #77704] History for Reading wrfout files with MET tools

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 14 12:55:54 MDT 2016

I'm just starting to use MET tools and have a right-up-front problem.  I built it on Centos, included all libraries for grib2, etc, and have a set of executables (MET 5.1).   I ran the make test process, no errors, all looked fine.

Now I'm trying to run the point_stat tool, using madis metar data against our local wrf output.  Both data  files are netcdf.  The wrfout file is direct netcdf file from our WRF run (WRF 3.7.1)  and the madis file is directly from the madis_research website, where is was netcdf format already, so I did no conversion on that file.

The problem is immediate : point_stat cannot read the wrfout file, and I don't know why.  ncdump reads it with no problem.  Here's the command and error, using verbose=9:

 ../../bin/point_stat -v 9 ../../data/LSC_fcst/2016082500/wrfout \
../../data/LSC_obs/2016082500/point.metar.20160825_0600 \
./PointStatConfig
DEBUG 1: Default Config File: /mnt/homes/loriotg/MET-5.0/met-5.1/share/met/config/PointStatConfig_default
DEBUG 1: User Config File: ./PointStatConfig
DEBUG 4: Met2dDataFileFactory::new_met_2d_data_file() -> created new Met2dDataFile object of type "FileType_None".
ERROR  :
ERROR  : Trouble reading forecast file "../../data/LSC_fcst/2016082500/wrfout"

The referenced forecast file exists, is on that path, and is properly listed with ncdump.  I think it's a valid WRF output netcdf file.  I'm very interested in using MET tools, and am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Note that this is the same met.5.1 that passed all tests in the test suite.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

George Loriot
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
Lyndon State College
Lyndonville, VT