[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #78579] History for Point-Stat question

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 4 09:57:48 MDT 2016

My config file specifies the following in the "Forecast and observation fields to be verified" section:

field = [
      {
        name       = "TMP";
        level      = [ "P100-225" ];
        cat_thresh = [ >273.0 ];
      },

The model output GRIB file (valid at 1200 UTC) contains output at the pressure levels 100, 150, and 200 mb all of which contain TMP FCST output.

The Point-Stat MPR file shows that there are 10 TMP observations in the layer P100-225.

The Point-Stat CNT file shows that TMP error statistics for the layer P100-225 were calculated using 10 matched pairs (TOTAL).

What model pressure level(s) was used to provide the FCST values used in the error statistics?

Another related question:

In cases where I have specified a layer (in pressure) P625-775 for verification, followed by another layer (P775-875) for verification, the model output contains the pressure level of 775mb. Which layer will the model output be used?

Thanks.

R/