[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #78559] History for Evaluation of Radiation fields with NARR

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 3 09:35:15 MDT 2016

Dear MET staff,

I hope you are doing well at your end.

I am planning to evaluate hourly WRF model outputs of surface radiation
fields using NARR files from  ftp://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/NARR.

I would like to ask for your suggestions/advice on the following:

1) the "A" NARR files from the above source have 3hr-average of surface
radiation fields, meaning I need the corresponding average from the WRF
files.  I'd like to know if there is a way/software to compute the 3 hr
average using the converted WRF GRIB files with UPP, instead of the
original netcdf WRF files ?? , If so, do you have an example ??

2) the "B" NARR files have a 3hr forecast (first guess) surface radiation
field. Is it correct to use them to verify instantaneous WRF files at 09 12

As a note, I already converted wrf grid to NARR grid and used grid-stat on
Temperature fields.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Best regards

Victor