[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #74874] History for installation difficulties

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 27 09:26:39 MST 2016

I recently learned about MET and am excited to begin to use it.
However, I am having problems installing it (I am working with met-5.1_bugfix) .  In short, when I try to make, I get "cannot find -lnetcdf_c++".  The NetCDF C++ library does not exist, so the error makes sense.  The problem is: I am using netcdf-4.4.0, and as I understand it I need to compile netcdf-cxx to get the NetCDF C++ library.  When I compiled netcdf-4.4.0 I used "--disable-netcdf-4", as the MET instructions suggested, but when I try to compile netcdf-cxx it gives me an error saying it can only compile with netcdf-4 enabled.

My question is: will MET work if I compile netcdf with netcdf-4 enabled?  Or is there another work around, or something I'm missing?

Thank you!
-Laurel DeHaan

Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes (CW3E)
Scripps Institution of Oceanography