[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #78739] History for General questions on MET

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 2 09:17:58 MST 2016

Hello MET help,

being PHD student at the Research Centre in Juelich, Germany, I have the following questions (before I install and run everything...):

1. I want to evaluate the WRF model with observations, so MET seems to fit :-) So MET is the first choice for this?

2. Is there a good observations coverage over Europe? In the dsxxx files, there are e.g. common synop stations included?

3. Is it possible to solely evaluate against ground station 2m temperature (I mean just extract one observation type)?

4. Is it possible to use solely observation from a single country (as I have seen a plot with synop stations just within the US in one of your tutorial slides).

5. Lets say I want to run or develop model output statistics (bias correction etc.). For this I need observations. Is it possible to use the MET scripts to extract observations from the dsxxx suitable for my domain? So giving me the observstions in some text file or so as a by-product.

Thank you very much for any kind of help on this, I highly appreciate this.

Cheers,
Jonas Berndt

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich