[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #71690] History for Error while installing MET-5.0

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon May 4 10:30:32 MDT 2015

I am having trouble of installing MET-5.0, as in the attached log files.
Kindly advise.

Thanks,
Endalk

Subject: Error while installing MET-5.0
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Apr 30 09:52:31 2015

Endalk,

I see that you're having trouble compiling MET version 5.0.  Thanks
for
sending the make_install.log and config.log files.  That helps a lot.

Looking in make_install.log, the error I'm seeing is pretty odd.  MET
successfully compiles and builds the vx_cal and vx_math libraries, but
then
errors out when building the vx_util library.  It exits when trying to
build the library archive file for vx_util saying that one of the
object
files doesn't exist.  That's very odd because that object file was
successfully created a few lines above.

If you haven't already tried this, I'd suggest restarting from
scratch.
Perhaps something got corrupted along the way.

Please try the following:
   cd /home/admasu/met
   rm -rf met-5.0
   tar -xvzf met-5.0.20140905.tar.gz
   cd met-5.0
   ./configure --prefix=/home/admasu/met/met-5.0
  make install >& make_install.log

Let me know how that goes.  Notice that I've omitted the
"--enable-mode_graphics" option for now.  Let's try to get a clean
build
first and then you can rebuild and add that back in.  But it does
require a
handful of other dependencies.

Please let me know how this goes.

met_help at ucar.edu

From: Endalkachew Bekele
Time: Thu Apr 30 10:17:21 2015

Hi John,
Thanks for your help. I did follow your suggestion, but got similar
error
message, please see the attached log files.
Thanks again,
Endalk

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:52 AM, John Halley Gotway via RT <
met_help at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Endalk,
>
> I see that you're having trouble compiling MET version 5.0.  Thanks
for
> sending the make_install.log and config.log files.  That helps a
lot.

> Looking in make_install.log, the error I'm seeing is pretty odd.
MET
> successfully compiles and builds the vx_cal and vx_math libraries,
but then
> errors out when building the vx_util library.  It exits when trying
> build the library archive file for vx_util saying that one of the
object
> files doesn't exist.  That's very odd because that object file was
> successfully created a few lines above.
>
> If you haven't already tried this, I'd suggest restarting from
scratch.
> Perhaps something got corrupted along the way.
>
> Please try the following:
>    cd /home/admasu/met
>    rm -rf met-5.0
>    tar -xvzf met-5.0.20140905.tar.gz
>    cd met-5.0
>    ./configure --prefix=/home/admasu/met/met-5.0
>   make install >& make_install.log
>
> Let me know how that goes.  Notice that I've omitted the
> "--enable-mode_graphics" option for now.  Let's try to get a clean
build
> first and then you can rebuild and add that back in.  But it does
require a
> handful of other dependencies.
>
> Please let me know how this goes.

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Endalkachew Bekele via RT <
> met_help at ucar.edu> wrote:
>

> > Wed Apr 29 12:25:51 2015: Request 71690 was acted upon.
> > Transaction: Ticket created by endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov
> >        Queue: met_help
> >      Subject: Error while installing MET-5.0
> >        Owner: Nobody
> >   Requestors: endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having trouble of installing MET-5.0, as in the attached log
files.
> > Kindly advise.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Endalk

 *Endalkachew Bekele*
CPC International Desks
NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction
5830 University Research Court, Rm 3149
College Park, Maryland 20740
Tel: (301) 683-3459
e-mail: endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov

UCAR/Joint Office for Science Support (JOSS)
 e-mail: ebekele at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Apr 30 12:07:30 2015

Endalk,

Very different error message this time:

nc_var_info.h:24:21: fatal error: netcdf.hh: No such file or
directory^M
 #include <netcdf.hh>

The compiler can't find the NetCDF header files it needs.  MET needs
to be
compiled using a version of NetCDF that compiled using the same
compilers
you're using for MET, which are the GNU compilers.  If NetCDF is
already
built on your system in this way, just set:
   setenv MET_NETCDF /path/to/netcdf/dir

Where "/path/to/netcdf/dir" contains "include" and "lib"
subdirectories.
You'll also need the GNU Scientific Library (GSL) and BUFRLIB.

I'd suggest following the compilation instructions posted here:

http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv5.0/compilation/req_libs.php

Hope that helps get you going in the right direction.   Can you tell
me, on
what machine are you trying to compile MET?  It's already installed on
handful of machines at NOAA: jet and zeus (which is now theia I
believe).
If you're using one of those, I could point you to it.

From: Endalkachew Bekele
Time: Fri May 01 09:16:10 2015

Hi John,
Thanks again.
I have made the necessary environment, but I still receive error
messages
as in the attached log files.
Endalk

e-mail: endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov

UCAR/Joint Office for Science Support (JOSS)
 e-mail: ebekele at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri May 01 09:31:24 2015

Endalk,

OK, the error we're getting now is that it can't find "yacc".  The
tools
lex and yacc (or flex and bison) are common utilities on Linux systems
used
for scanning and parsing files.  We use them when reading the
configuration
files for the tools.  This is the first time I've seen this error from
user... that's why it's not currently included in the tutorial.  It
just
hasn't come up in the past.

You could attempt to locate "yacc" or "bison" on your machine.
Perhaps
it's somewhere but just isn't in your path.  If you find it, you could
either add the directory for that executable to your path.  Or you
could
set the "YACC" environment variable pointing to the yacc or bison
executable (e.g. setenv YACC /path/to/bison).  Then rerun configure.

Looks like we're making progress each time, but this is slow going!
Sorry
for that.

John

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Endalkachew Bekele via RT
<met_help at ucar.edu

From: Endalkachew Bekele
Time: Fri May 01 09:56:42 2015

Hi John,
I did install bison, and set the environment accordingly. But I still
receive similar error message (see log files).

e-mail: endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov

UCAR/Joint Office for Science Support (JOSS)
 e-mail: ebekele at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri May 01 13:32:06 2015

Looking in your config.log file, it looks like configure also needs
"flex".  Typically flex and bison go hand in hand.  Please try
installing
flex into /usr/bin.  If flex and binson are in /usr/bin, the configure
command should find them and won't need to be told where they are.  So
just
unset the YACC environment variable:
   unsetenv YACC

Then try again.

This is actually a bit perplexing.  I hadn't realized that lex/yacc or
flex/bison were required for compiling MET.  They're required in our
development environment, but I didn't think they were required to
build the
released code.  I'll need to look more into this.  So thanks for
letting us
know about it.

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Endalkachew Bekele via RT
<met_help at ucar.edu

endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov

From: Endalkachew Bekele
Time: Mon May 04 10:22:15 2015

Hi John,
Installing flex has resolved the problem. Thank you so much!
Endalk

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 3:32 PM, John Halley Gotway via RT
<met_help at ucar.edu

endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov

e-mail: endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov

UCAR/Joint Office for Science Support (JOSS)
 e-mail: ebekele at ucar.edu