[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #71051] History for Question about ascii2nc and point_stat

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 27 09:59:55 MDT 2015

Good morning,

I have model forecasts at one-hour snapshots over an 8-hour period, and I
am looking to compare a number of stations at each of those times.  I have
read the MET tutorial and the users' guide and I have a couple remaining
questions.

I am using USCRN station data for my point observations, and I can convert
them into a MET-formatted ascii file to use with ascii2nc and then with
point_stat.

1. Can I have more times than desired in my MET-formatted ascii file and
then use the configuration file or command line options for ascii2nc to
select only a certain time range from these observations to include in the
netCDF file, or will it necessarily use all the observations I have in the
ascii file I give to ascii2nc?

2. If I have point observations at multiple times in one ascii or netcdf
file that I give as input to point_stat, can point_stat compare my hourly
forecasts to this hourly data over the whole time period in one call?  Or
do I need to have only the observations I want to compare to a given
forecast (a one-time forecast) and just call point_stat for each forecast
time as a separate command, using a separate input file of observations?

Thank you,
Jess