[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #70754] History for Cosine Latitude Weighing

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 19 11:58:06 MST 2015

Hi all, we have been tasked to set up verification using the WMO Commission for Basic System standards.  Two of these standards are verification on a 1.5 degree grid using area averaging to reduce the model resolution to this standard grid (copygb should not be used) and the calculation of RMSE from verification versus analysis must include a cosine latitude weighting.  Does MET have a method to filter the RMSE generation to include the cosine longitude weighting in Grid Stat (is it built in)?  Do you have any programs that reduce a grid using area averaging before we end up writing one?

Thanks

Bob Craig

AFWA