[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #72889] History for UK UM model for MET? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tara Jensen via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 13 09:54:07 MDT 2015

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Here at the Army Research Lab, we are starting to do some very preliminary investigation of the impact of transitioning towards eventual research use of the UK UM model (s). This interest is stimulated by recent developments within Air Force Weather which indicate that they are planning to migrate towards using the UM operationally (eventually). Since the Army must get its weather support operationally from the Air Force, we must consider the impact on Army weather technology which must process Air Force weather data.

Have you been looking at the UM from the perspective of adapting the MET software so that it will work with UM output? Are you planning to devote resources towards working with the UM model in the future?

One of my concerns are the availability of post-processing software to convert the native UM output into GRIB format suitable for ingest into he MET software. For WRF, I use the Unified Post-Processor (UPP) software to do this. There may be other issues with the compatibility of UM output with MET.

Thanks.

R/
John

Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist
U.S. Army Research Laboratory
White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002
(575) 678-2004 DSN 258-2004
FAX (575) 678-1230 DSN 258-1230
Email: john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Tara Jensen here.  Thanks for asking that interesting question.  I
know Marion Mittermaier uses MET for her evaluation of the UM but I am
uncertain what post-processing is used prior to passing the fields
into MET.  I will email her and ask then get back to you.

Best Regards, Tara

On Fri Aug 07 10:18:50 2015, john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil wrote:
> CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED
>
> Here at the Army Research Lab, we are starting to do some very
>    preliminary investigation of the impact of transitioning towards
>    eventual research use of the UK UM model (s). This interest is
>    stimulated by recent developments within Air Force Weather which
>    indicate that they are planning to migrate towards using the UM
>    operationally (eventually). Since the Army must get its weather
>    support operationally from the Air Force, we must consider the
>    impact on Army weather technology which must process Air Force
>    weather data.
>
> Have you been looking at the UM from the perspective of adapting the
>    MET software so that it will work with UM output? Are you
planning
>    to devote resources towards working with the UM model in the
>    future?
>
> One of my concerns are the availability of post-processing software
>    convert the native UM output into GRIB format suitable for ingest
>    into he MET software. For WRF, I use the Unified Post-Processor
>    (UPP) software to do this. There may be other issues with the
>    compatibility of UM output with MET.
>
> Thanks.
>
> R/
> John
>
> Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist
> U.S. Army Research Laboratory
> White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002
> (575) 678-2004 DSN 258-2004
> FAX (575) 678-1230 DSN 258-1230
> Email: john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil
>

> CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Thanks for your response on that. I'd be interested in any info about
Marion's work to use MET with the UM.

R/

From: Tara Jensen
Time: Wed Aug 12 09:50:13 2015

Hi John,

According to Marion, they "use the ECMWF grib API to convert pp files
to grib".  So it appears there is a standard package similar to UPP to
perform the conversion.

I hope this helps!
Best Regards, Tara

On Mon Aug 10 08:56:26 2015, john.w.raby2.civ at mail.mil wrote:
> CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED
>
> Tara -
>
> Thanks for your response on that. I'd be interested in any info
about
>    Marion's work to use MET with the UM.
>
> R/

(UNCLASSIFIED)