[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #72667] History for Grid-Stat error matching grids

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 3 11:24:24 MDT 2015

I'm working with METv4.1 and I'm trying to use the Grid-Stat tool to match NCEP Stage IV precipitation to my WRF model output. I used the copy_gb utility to regrid the Stage IV data to my WRF grid. I receive an error from Grid-Stat that my precip and wrf grids don't match, but it seems that they're only off by a tiny amount (and only for Bx and By). See error below:

DEBUG 1: User Config File: GridStatConfig_APCP
ERROR  :
ERROR  : process_command_line() -> The forecast and observation grids do not match: Projection: Lambert Conformal Nx: 499 Ny: 499 Lat_LL: 34.430 Lon_LL: 100.613 Lon_orient: 97.900 Alpha: 12905.872 Cone: 0.598 Bx: 248.9923 By: 8796.5833 != Projection: Lambert Conformal Nx: 499 Ny: 499 Lat_LL: 34.430 Lon_LL: 100.613 Lon_orient: 97.900 Alpha: 12905.872 Cone: 0.598 Bx: 248.9993 By: 8796.6199
ERROR  :

I suspect that the problem is related to the precision of the copygb utility. The central longitude for my WRF grid is -97.89999, but because of the precision of copygb (thousandths of a degree), I'm forced to use either -97.900 or -97.899. I think this may be what is throwing off the Bx and By slightly?

Do you have any suggestions for how I might be able to proceed with Grid-Stat? Are there any other regridding tools that I could use or maybe a flag I could include with copygb to increase the precision of the arguments?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tricia