[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #69415] History for Potential Error with Forecast Lead Time Equal or Larger than Three-Digit in UPP and MET

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 21 11:14:18 MDT 2014

Dear WRF Help and MET Help

Previously I noted that:
I'm postprocessing my WRF climate model outputs which are from 10-year
simulation from one initialization time.
I'm getting error with run_unipost when the forecast hour is 1002.
Error did not occur until the fhr=1002.
I checked that input file is existing in the directory but it seems that
 WRFPRS1002.tm00 was not created for some reason.
I put the error message below.
Please let me know if this error is coming from the fhr number being too
large or else.

Related with this error, I found a suspicious point in the MET Users Guid
V5.0 on page 5-12. It is about naming convention of output STAT file from
Grid_Stat.
It reads:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
The output STAT file is named using the following naming
convention: grid_stat__PREFIX_HHMMSSL_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSSV.stat where PREFIX
indicates the user-defined output prefix, YYYMMDDHH indicates the forecast
lead time
and YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS indicates the forecast valid time.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

The file name parts for the forecast valid time are fine with no problem.
However, as highlighted above, the file name parts for the forecast lead
time do not match each other even in the users guide. Moreover,  HH of the
forecast lead time increases from two-digit (e.g. 00, 06, 12, 18, etc.) and
it can grow into three-digit number (e.g. 102, ..., 996). But I'm not sure
if the original code can take four-digit or even more-digit numbers. In my
case, since I'm getting error with run_unipost when the forecast hour
becomes 1002, so I couldn't run the grid_stat for 1002 forecast hour case.
Nevertheless, I come to think that naming convention in the STAT output
might be related with limiting the forecast hour as input file up to only
three-digit and that this might be also true with the run_unipost. Actually
I got the idea from watching only three-digit YYY in the forecast lead
time, YYYMMDDHH, in the MET Users' Guide.

Could you please check if the forecast lead time is natively limited only
up to three-digit numbers in the UPP or MET by its source code?
For my 10-year climate simulation cases with one initial time, my forecast
hour could be as large as 87600 hours.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Jinwoong Yoo
UNM

+ tmmark=tm00
+ export tmmark
+ MP_SHARED_MEMORY=yes
+ export MP_SHARED_MEMORY
+ MP_LABELIO=yes
+ export MP_LABELIO
+ NEWDATE=1870010100
+ export NEWDATE
+ [ 1002 -le 4320 ]
+ printf %02i 1002
+ fhr=1002
+ /glade/scratch/jyoo/UPPV2.2/bin/ndate.exe +1002 1870010100
+ NEWDATE=1870021118
+ echo 1870021118
+ cut -c1-4
+ YY=1870
+ cut -c5-6
+ echo 1870021118
+ MM=02
+ cut -c7-8
+ echo 1870021118
+ DD=11
+ echo 1870021118
+ cut -c9-10
+ HH=18
+ echo NEWDATE 1870021118
NEWDATE 1870021118
+ echo YY 1870
YY 1870
+ cat
+ 1> itag 0<< \EOF
../wrfprd/wrfout_d01_1870-02-11_18:00:00
netcdf
1870-02-11_18:00:00
NCAR
EOF
+ rm fort.110 fort.14
+ ln -sf wrf_cntrl.parm fort.14
+ /glade/scratch/jyoo/UPPV2.2/bin/unipost.exe
+ 1> unipost_d01.1002.out 2>& 1
+ cp WRFPRS1002.tm00 WRFPRS_d01.tm00.bk
cp: cannot stat `WRFPRS1002.tm00': No such file or directory
+ mv WRFPRS1002.tm00 WRFPRS_d01.1002
mv: cannot stat `WRFPRS1002.tm00': No such file or directory
+ ls -l WRFPRS_d01.1002
ls: cannot access WRFPRS_d01.1002: No such file or directory
+ err1=2
+ test 2 -ne 0
+ echo 'UNIPOST FAILED, EXITTING'
UNIPOST FAILED, EXITTING