[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #68793] History for Issues with init_beg and init_end namelist with tc_pairs in MetTC

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 3 12:25:49 MDT 2014

Using tc_pairs, I am trying to parse out three months (ASO) of data from a
merged a-deck and b-deck files for the year 2012 (to match our period of
study). If I leave init_beg and init_end blank, I get expected behavior
(matches all storms, even those outside my range (ex: MJJ)).

If I add

init_beg = "20120801";
init_end = "20121101";

to the config file to attempt to filter only ASO, running the tc_pairs
command provides 0 matching tracks (shell output below). It should have
matching tracks, since I have verified that running with empty strings for
both lines produces a file that contains matches between these dates
(amongst the others for those calendar years).

I have used:

20121101
20121101_00
20121101_000000

with the same results.

Also note the user guide is somewhat ambiguous here (showing an example of
YYYYMMDD but stating the field takes a YYYYMMDD_HH input).

Code was built on Yellowstone with ifort compiler. I have attached the
config file (as well as below results when running interactively in bash.

Please let me know if this is a simple miss on my part or if anything else
is needed. I am doing this analysis on Yellowstone/Geyser, so all the
scripts/files are readily available.

Relatedly, I need to do this analysis for multiple years. It seems that
init_beg and init_end are single strings (not arrays) so I anticipate that
I will have to run tc_pairs for each year in the data set (filtering by
ASO) and then catting the resultant pairs files together before doing
quantitative statistics. Is this the easiest way to accomplish this or is
there some ability to select multiple time subsets for filtering in
tc_pairs?

Cheers,

-Colin

----------- Shell output -----------------

-bash-4.1$ ~/METv4.1/bin/tc_pairs -adeck
~/work/TC_deckfiles/adeck/aal*fullwCAM.dat -bdeck
~/work/TC_deckfiles/bdeck/bal*full.dat -config config
DEBUG 1: [Source 1 of 2] ADECK Source:
/glade/u/home/zarzycki/work/TC_deckfiles/adeck/aal2012fullwCAM.dat, Model
Suffix: (nul)
DEBUG 1: [Source 2 of 2] ADECK Source:
/glade/u/home/zarzycki/work/TC_deckfiles/adeck/aal2013fullwCAM.dat, Model
Suffix: (nul)
DEBUG 1: [Source 1 of 2] BDECK Source:
/glade/u/home/zarzycki/work/TC_deckfiles/bdeck/bal2012full.dat, Model
Suffix: (nul)
DEBUG 1: [Source 2 of 2] BDECK Source:
/glade/u/home/zarzycki/work/TC_deckfiles/bdeck/bal2013full.dat, Model
Suffix: (nul)
DEBUG 1: Config File Default:
/glade/u/home/zarzycki/METv4.1/data/config/TCPairsConfig_default
DEBUG 1: Config File User: config
DEBUG 1: Distance to land file: /glade/u/home/zarzycki/METv4.1/data/tc_data/
dland_nw_hem_tenth_degree.nc
DEBUG 2: Processing 2 ADECK file(s).
DEBUG 2: Found 0 ADECK track(s).
DEBUG 2: Filtering 0 ADECK tracks based on config file settings.
DEBUG 2: Processing 2 BDECK file(s).
DEBUG 2: Found 62 BDECK track(s).
DEBUG 2: Deriving 12-hour interpolated tracks.
DEBUG 2: Finished deriving 0 12-hour interpolated tracks.
DEBUG 2: Deriving 0 ADECK consensus model(s).
DEBUG 2: Added 0 ADECK consensus tracks(s).
DEBUG 2: Deriving 0 ADECK lag model(s).
DEBUG 2: Added 0 ADECK lag tracks(s).
DEBUG 2: Deriving 0 CLIPER/SHIFOR baseline model(s).
DEBUG 2: Added 0 CLIPER/SHIFOR baseline track(s).
DEBUG 2: Matching 0 ADECK tracks to 62 BDECK tracks.
DEBUG 1: Watch/Warning file:
/glade/u/home/zarzycki/METv4.1/data/tc_data/wwpts_us.txt
DEBUG 1: Output file: ./out_tcmpr.tcst

--
Colin M. Zarzycki, Postdoctoral fellow
University of Michigan, Dept. of Atmos., Ocean., and Space Sciences