[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #68926] History for copygb and precipitation analysis

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 3 12:24:22 MDT 2014

Hello, my name is Andrew and I am trying to make precipitation comparisons with models of different resolutions using the METv4.0 framework.  In order to do this, I am using 'copygb' to copy precipitation fields for all models onto a common grid, so that the skill scores will be comparable.

One of my models is on a latlon grid, the other is mercator projected.  I would ideally like to define new grid boxes in km rather than degrees.  Therefore, I have tried to convert the latlon projection to a mercator using the following command.

./copygb.exe -xg"255 1 400 400 42441 -511 128 55620 23407 45000 128 0 12000 12000"

Fields 3 and 4 of this command are the number of grid points that exist between the start and end lat/lon.
The last two fields typically specify the grid spacing in km (when converting to mercator).

These field must correspond, correct?  I.e. what is specified as grid spacing MUST have the correct corresponding number of grid points (fields 3 and 4) in the domain.  For my evaluations, I would like the models to retain their original domain sizes while only changing the horizontal resolution.  So my question is: is there a way to input a desired resolution (in km) and have the number of points (fields 3 and 4) be calculated on the fly instead of explicity entering them?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Andrew