[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #65954] History for Precip/MODE verification issues

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 25 09:45:41 MDT 2014

Good morning,

I am attempting to use MODE to verify some WRF model output via UPPV2.0 to gridded observed precipitation data (see link here for the observed precip dataset I am using: http://data.eol.ucar.edu/codiac/dss/id=21.093).  The two data sets are not of the same projection, spatial resolution or domain size (please see error below), and I would like to seek your help on how to get these two datasets to have the same properties such that MODE can be utilized in verifying the WRF data upon this observed data.  I have reviewed the met_help archives and did not find a similar case as this.  Also, please note that I attempted to ftp some data and observed files to go with this email, but the ftp did not work.  I will be happy to hear whatever advice you may be able to offer, and I will be happy to send along any additional information or files you need to help me solve this issue.

*** Running MODE on APCP using a GRIB forecast and netCDF observation ***
DEBUG 1: Default Config File: /opt/storage/high-speed/EMT2/METv4.1/METv4.1/data/config/MODEConfig_default
DEBUG 1: Match Config File: /opt/storage/high-speed/EMT2/METv4.1/METv4.1/data/config/MODEConfig_default
DEBUG 1: Merge Config File: /opt/storage/high-speed/EMT2/METv4.1/METv4.1/data/config/MODEConfig_default
DEBUG 1: Forecast File: /opt/storage/high-speed/EMT2/UPPVspace/postprd/old_WRF/2011026/WRFPRS_d01.24
DEBUG 1: Observation File: /opt/storage/high-speed/EMT2/2011MetData/precip/ST4.2011012612.24h
ERROR  :
ERROR  : process_fcst_obs_files() -> The forecast and observation grids do not match: Projection: Lambert Conformal Nx: 471 Ny: 311 Lat_LL: 20.857 Lon_LL: 121.492 Lon_orient: 97.000 Alpha: 1037.975 Cone: 0.630 Bx: 218.5427 By: 791.1670 != Projection: Stereographic Nx: 1121 Ny: 881 IsNorthHemisphere: true Lon_orient: 105.000 Bx: 399.440 By: 1599.329 Alpha: 2496.0783
ERROR  :

Thank you for your time,

Elliot Tardif, Meteorologist II
NC DENR, Division of Air Quality
Planning Section, Attainment Planning Branch
1641 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1641
Phone/Fax:  919-707-8483
Email:  Elliot.Tardif at ncdenr.gov<mailto:Nick.Witcraft at ncdenr.gov>
Web  :  http://www.ncair.org<http://www.ncair.org/>

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties unless the content is exempt by statue or other regulation.