[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #65730] History for lag_time

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 5 14:57:05 MST 2014

Just curious what the lag_time parameter does.  Assuming I specify a lag
of "12", does it add 12 hours to all the bdeck data before pairing them
with adeck data?

Location isn't touched?
Can you have negative lag?

Thanks!
dave

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #65730] lag_time
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Wed Mar 05 13:52:54 2014

Hello Dave,

Here's a selection from the METv4.1/data/config/README_TC file:

//
// Specify a comma-separated list of forecast lag times to be used in
HH[MMSS]
// format.  For each ADECK track identified, a lagged track will be
derived
// for each entry listed.
//
// e.g. lag_time = [ "06", "12" ];
//
lag_time = [];

Suppose you have a single ADECK track with a model name "HWRF", and
you have lag_time = [ "06", "12" ] (as shown above).  In the output
you'd see 3 tracks with model names "HWRF", "HWRF_LAG_06", and
"HWRF_LAG_12".  All initialization and valid times for the tracks will
be shifted forward 6 or 12 hours.  This functionality is in MET-TC to
replicate functionality that's in the NHC verification
system.  I talked to a scientist in DTC, and she told me that it's
used when dealing with real-time considerations of running
operationally.  Certain hurricane models are considered "early" or
"late",
meaning they either are or are not available in a certain real-time
time window.  They've used the time lag to shift the times of some
models to switch the between "early" and "late".

Frankly, I don't understand all the details, but its basically a real-
time consideration.  If you're evaluating data in retrospective mode,
it like wouldn't be that helpful.

Can it be negative?  I just tested it and it looks like it works.

From: David Ahijevych
Time: Wed Mar 05 14:47:47 2014

thanks for checking on this. I'm still not sure what it does, but it
sounds like I don't need it when I'm doing a retrospective study.  I
was
just curious if it could "auto-magically" account for temporal errors
somehow, but without understanding it completely, I think I'll stay
away
from it.

Dave