[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #67872] History for stat-analysis valid hours question

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 26 16:04:09 MDT 2014

Dear MET team

Hope you are doing well at your end.

I would like to ask for your help/hints/advice with the following:

I want to obtain the performance of some variables in an interval of hours for several days. The "several days" can be a week and probably a month or even longer. That is, to aggregate statistics, say from  18 UTC to 23 UTC for all days in the given simulation period, but can be any reasonable hourly interval:

  day1_P_180000
  day1_P_190000
  .
  day1 P _230000
   .
   .
  day2_P_180000
  day2_P_190000
  .
  dayN_P_230000..

Here "P" denotes the period of interest, and "N" the corresponding days within that period

 I have included the "fcst_valid_hour H1 .... fcst_valid_hour H2 .... fcst_valid_hour Hn" flag (where "n" is the final hour in the interval of interest) into the configuration file of stat_analysis, and so far I have obtained some results. This allowed to extract the required hours for all days in that period. Part of the objective is to also obtain the performance by station, so that these flags are in combination with the "-by" flag.

One thing to note is that this analysis is conjunction with the one for the entire period. That is, I will be doing it as a separate one.

My questions are:

1) Nevertheless I have some results, I want to know if this procedure is correct so that am not overlooking something that could be important regarding the use of the configuration flags. I read some posts but do not have it so clear at all.

2) I want to know if the following approach is valid: Instead of using the "fcst_valid_hour" flag, I am thinking in using a combination of wild cards/globbing to work directly in the required files for processing. That is: after the required combination of commands, to end up with something like (the notation is similar as above (P, period; D, day; N, # days; n, # hrs)):

    point_stat..L_YYYY_P_D1_H1....stat
    point_stat..L_YYYY_P_D1_H2....stat
    point_stat..L_YYYY_P_D1_Hn....stat
     .
    point_stat..L_YYYY_P_DN_H1....stat
    point_stat..L_YYYY_P_DN_Hn....stat

and then make some links to tell stat_analysis where to find these files and further  aggregate the stats just for these files

Probably it may help in CPU time since it does not have to read all the files for the original simulation period.

Is it equivalent/valid ?

THANK you very much for your time and help

Best

Victor