[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #68300] History for using point-stat tool for daily averaged observations

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 30 13:32:05 MDT 2014

I am a new METv4.1 user trying to use the point-stat tool to verify my
WRF-ARWv3.5 model output.
I have daily averaged observations and WRF fields output every hour. I am
using the WRF Unified Post Processor to convert my netcdf files to grib1
format. The message type would be ADPSFC. My fields are Temp, Wind speed,
Pressure, RH, and Precip.
A couple of questions:
1) Under the Level column of the ASCII point obs file, I have been putting
"24" as the observation accumulation interval (since they are daily
averages). Did I understand that correctly?
2) Each wrf output file is 30 hours long. I have been using UPP to split it
into 30 GRIB files, 1 for each hour. But this is a problem, because what I
actually want to do is compare forecast daily averages with obs daily
averages ... and it appears what I am currently set up to do is compare
forecast hourly averages with obs daily averages.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Archana