[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #68794] History for prepbufr/pbobs2nc question

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 28 16:24:07 MDT 2014

Hello (John),

Recently I have been running validation of WRF v351 runs for the summer
of 2012 using METv4.1. I want to compare to stats generated earlier for
the same period during 2012 but using WRF v341 runs and obs processed
with METv4.0.

For the new validation, I allowed METv4.1 to download fresh prepbufr files
and
 convert to nc format. I have noticed that, not only are the ncdf files a
 different size in part due to the presence now of a quality flag, but
the count of matched pairs in the MPR files and the obs values are
actually different. This is a
big problem for an apples-to-apples stats comparison.

The differences could exist be because a) the input prepbufr files have
changed, or (more likely) b) something is different in METv4.1 vs
METv4.0. We corresponded a while ago about the problematic quality flag
in the GDAS prepbufr files (set to 9 by NCEP), plus there was a
stack-inversion problem in an earlier version of MET, however, the
details and relevancy escape me now.

I suspect that I need to regenerate stats for the WRF v341
runs using the just-created ncdf files and discard the earlier stats
generated using METv4.0.

I welcome your advice.

Thanks.

Regards,

John Henderson

AER

This email is intended solely for the recipient. It may contain privileged, proprietary or confidential information or material. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and any attachments and notify the sender of the error.