[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #63192] History for ascii2nc using 24 hour apcp

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 27 09:53:09 MDT 2013

Good Morning MET helpdesk

I am trying to use point-stat to compare 24hr apcp from WRF to my observed data.

I used ascii2nc to create my observed netcdf file. The observed data I entered had already been converted to 24hr totals.
When I ncdump -v obs_arr observed.nc, I think it is still showing the data as 1hr data (3600s).

 obs_arr =
  0, 61, 3600, -9999, 0,
  1, 61, 3600, -9999, 0,
  2, 61, 3600, -9999, 0,
  3, 61, 3600, -9999, 0,
  4, 61, 3600, -9999, 0,

Sooooo, when I run point-stat. I get this error message.
NetCDF: Attribute not found

My questions are:
1. How do I create 24hr observed netcdf file? (if this is in fact the reason for my error)
2. In creating my observed file, I entered multiple stations. Does MET handle this?
I am asking because the manual says it only handles 1 point station, yet ascii2nc ran with no problems and all the data is written to the netcdf.

FYI, this is the process following on from a previous inquiry.
[rt.rap.ucar.edu #62959] POINT_STAT Error APCP

I have placed my data on ftp.rap.ucar.edu fyr
/incoming/irap/met_help/weston_data/

Thanks guys!
Michael Weston

EScience Associates (Pty) Ltd
E-mail: michael at escience.co.za
Web:   www.escience.co.za
PO Box 2950, Saxonwold, 2132
9 Victoria Street, Oaklands, Johannesburg, 2192
Tel:  +27 (0)11 718 6380
Fax: 086 527 5241
VAT No: 473 025 4416
Reg No: 2009/014472/07