[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #61776] History for RE: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #61428/61504] MODE setup question (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 10 13:54:54 MDT 2013

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hi John,

I apologize for not going through channels.  John Raby isn't in today, and I
wasn't sure how he normally contacts you with questions re: MODE.  ...so, my
apologies upfront.

Had a "quick MODE logic question"...

I've built a script to automate our multiple hours of data processing with
MODE.  The 3 options we'll be using are:

  1.  Define objects as all values between XXX.X and YYY.y
  2.  Define objects as all values greater than XXX.x
  3.  Define objects as all values less than XXX.x

Here are the parameters set in the script for each of the 3 cases:

  1. Objects defined as "between XXX.X and YYY.y"
     raw_thresh   <= user entry  (highest value)
     conv_radius  >= user entry  (lowest value)
     conv_thresh  0              (skips this step)

  2. Objects defined as ">= XXX.X"
     raw_thresh   >=-9999        (to avoid boundary false data)
     conv_radius  >= user entry  (lowest value accepted for object)
     conv_thresh  1              (1 grid unit is default)

  3. Objects defined as "<= XXX.X"
     raw_thresh   >=-9999        (to avoid boundary false data)
     conv_radius  <= user entry  (highest value accepted for object)
     conv_thresh  1              (1 grid unit is default)

Aside:  The rest of the config file variables are default values.

Are the 3 cases (object definitions) and configuration parameters correctly
setup for MODE?

(Test results on the above, look promising.)

Please advise.

Thanks,
Gail Vaucher
Army Research Lab