[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #59667] History for Point_Stat - specifying fcst_valid and fcst_lead in METv4.0

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 4 11:39:00 MST 2013

Hi MET team.

I am trying to use Point Stat to verify GRIB forecasts with multiple forecast times per file - eg 20110102_0000 initialisation time, with hourly forecast data out to 72hrs.

I have found mention of the fcst_valid and fcst_lead command line options for previous versions of MET, and noticed that it is mentioned in the release notes of METv4.0 that this command lines options have been moved to the config files. However, I can't find any documentation regarding how/where to specify them in the config file in the v4.0 User's Guide or config/README. I would be very grateful if you could advise me or point me to it if I've overlooked it? Would love to avoid having to split up my data into separate lead times!

Also, I am slightly confused about the difference between fcst_valid and fcst_lead - for a given initialisation time (single forecast file) with multiple timesteps, should I be specifying fcst_lead to verify a particular time? ie, to verify the 12-hour forecast for a 20110102_0000 file, should I specify fcst_lead = 20110102_1200?

Thanks very much
Malcolm Nunn