[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #59926] History for Verification with a persistence reference forecast

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 4 09:08:37 MST 2013

Hi John

I was looking to use a persistence forecast as a reference for comparison alongside my forecast verification. From what I can determine, there is no in-built feature in METv4.0 for this? I just wanted to check that I haven't missed anything before implementing a work-around. I know there is the option to specify a climatology file in Point-Stat but that's not quite what I'm after.

If there is no feature in METv4.0 for it, I am thinking the best way to do it would be to specify a forecast from the previous day for a given set of observations - however so that MET would match up the times it would require altering the init_time and valid_time attributes so that MET believes it was the correct day. This is certainly doable but a little clunky. Do you have any other suggestions for producing verification scores for a persistence forecast?

Cheers
Malcolm Nunn