[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #62798] History for Choosing the right obs type from prepbufr files

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 27 14:02:22 MDT 2013

I'm trying to select 10m wind speed from the prepbufr files located in
/glade/p/rda/data/ds337.0/netcdf/tarfiles, specifically the date 20100604.

But after running pb2nc all data left is over the ocean or along the coast
(SFCSHP). Shouldn't I get also the metar and synop data inland? I've tried
looking in different times but the stations are always at the coast/ocean.

I attached the plot I get from plot_point_obs. I know there are several
airports in the region (14 in CT, 35 in MA, 8 in RI and 21 in NJ) and I
wonder if I'm using the wrong configuration in pb2nc.

I have my PB2NCConfig file with the following settings:

message_type = ["ONLYSF"];
station_id = [];
obs_window = {
   beg =-21600;
   end = 21600;
}
mask = {
   poly =
"/glade/p/work/frediani/Validation/gen_poly_mask/wrf_domain_poly.txt";
};
elevation_range = {
   beg =  -1000;
   end = 100000;
}
pb_report_type  = [];
in_report_type  = [];
instrument_type = [];
level_range = {
   beg = 1;
   end = 255;
}
level_category = [];
obs_grib_code = ["WIND"];
quality_mark_thresh = 2;
event_stack_flag = TOP;

Can you help me understand if it's a problem with my Config file or the
data? If it's the data, shouldn't it include the metar? Is there another
version of this dataset I could find what I need?

Thanks a lot

Maria Eugenia B. Frediani
PhD Candidate
University of Connecticut